About Dibrugarh Munucipality Board
ORIGINE AND HISTORY
Dibrugarh Municipality was established in 1873. Before that, Dibrugarh city had been reined by numerous rulers. Beginning with the Chutias in the 12th Century, it was conquered by the Ahoms in about 1233 A.D. During the insurrection of Moamoria, Dibrugarh came under the Matak rule, before it finally came under the British in the 19th century. The city since then has become the nerve center of all political, administrative, cultural and commercial activities of the Upper Assam region.
Dibrugarh is located along 27' 28' N latitude and 94' 35' E longitude. The British established Dibrugarh town with the construction of a large fort in the banks of the Dibru River, which was later, eroded away in a massive flood- a common phenomenon in Assam. This fort acted as a trading site for traders coming by boats, thus leading to the establishment of a market known as the Purana bazaar. After its erosion by the mighty river, the new market was established in 1907. The British established a railway line in 1882.
In addition to its importance as administrative headquarter of the Dibrugarh District; Dibrugarh was originally a Tea exporting town. Dibrugarh is connected by NH-37 with Tinsukia, which is a major commercial center in Upper Assam. This highway further connects to important towns like Sivsagar, Jorhat and Guwahati, the commercial and economic hub of the North -East. In addition to that, after completion of the mega mighty Brahmputra bridge project, more gateways will be open connecting to neighboring Arunachal Pradesh and northern bank of River Brahmputra.Discovery of Oil in Digboi-Duliajan and Coal in Ledo raised the importance of this premier and oldest town of Assam. This importance will be further strengthened on completion of Gas cracker project.
POPULATION GROWTH TRENDS
Population of Dibrugarh is around 0.12 million. An emerging city, the population distribution shows that the city core, i.e. the DMB area, is densely populated, wherein 23 percent of the geographical area supports 66 percent of the population of DMPA as shown in Table 3-1. The newly included areas present increasing growth potential as residential land use is increasing away from the city core into these peripheral areas.
DIBRUGARH MUNICIPAL BOARD AREA
The DMB area has seen rapid increase in the population since its inception. During the time of the setting up of the town by the British1, Dibrugarh had a population of about 3870 persons (in1873). But since the 1950s, the population in the DMB area has increased rapidly to now stand at 1.2 lakh in 2001.
Table 1: DMPA Constituent Area, 2001
Analysis of the population growth trends over the years shows that the population in the Dibrugarh Municipal Board area has grown exponentially, with 66 percent of the total DMPA population concentrated here.
Establishment of government offices
However, the decadal growth post – 1960s has been slow, especially in the last decade from 1981 to 1991.
The population density within DMB area is higher compared to the periphery. With only 23 percent of the geographical area, the core area (DMB area) contains 66 percent of the population of DMPA. The net density of population in the DMPA is 2501 persons per sq.km, while within the municipal area it is 7750 persons per sq. km as per 1991 census. In 2001, for the DMPA, the population density increased to 2865 persons per sq. km and within the Municipal area increased to 7905 persons per sq.km.
Table 4: DMPA – Ward wise Population and Densities- 2001
|The Municipal Board|
|Rate Of Trade Licence|
|Taxes & Revenue|
Designed by ELECTROCOMP and maintained by Dibrugarh Municipal Board